The Minister for Housing, Planning & Local Government, Eoghan Murphy, published a Heads of Residential Tenancies (Amendment) Bill.
This amended Bill details some of the following:
- Providing powers to the RTB to investigate and sanction landlords who engage in improper conduct including non-compliance with rent increase restrictions in Rent Pressure Zones (RPZ’s).
- A Sanction could cost a landlord who is in breach up to €30,000 and a written caution (a financial penalty of up to €15,000; payment of RTB investigation costs of up to €15,000).
- Requiring the annual registration of tenancies with the RTB.
- Allowing the RTB to initiate an investigation without the need for a complaint to be made.
- Allowing the publication of RTB determinations in respect of any dispute.